Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Hybrids, gas prices and driving a classic


So yea gas is like $4.37 at its cheapest around here right now and there is all kinds of talk about electric cars and hybrid cars and diesel powered cars, and I want to say I am ok with all of em. That being said I have a good buddy at work who has a prius (he also rides a few differant Harleys to work which is how we met) and I was tellin him I found a really clean one owner 66 Galaxie wagon for sale I mean this thing is clean original paint nice interior 390 fe block and its runs quiet! Even has AC! His response "Are you crazy ! How are you gonna afford to drive that big old thing?" I was dumbfounded by his question. How am I gonna drive a Galaxie wagon? I know he meant because of the rising cost of gas but lets all be adults here and use some logic. So tell me pal whats your car payment look like $575 a month! how much is insurance on the Prius? $230 a month! Wow now lets not even get into how much services are gonna cost or if your super hybrid computer takes a dump what that would cost. we are lookin at $805.00 per month !! on a car payment!! So if I buy this wagon I am lookin at droppin 5-6 grand cash probly about what his down was on the Prius And thats it broham! even if I buy 3 tanks of gas a week roughly 327.75 at 25 gallons a tank at the above mentioned price brother I am ahead 477.25! my insurance is like 250 a year on my classic cars! Now you say but james the Prius is more environmental and efficient. Is it ? That 66 Galaxies foot print is almost gone! The plant in San Jose were it was minted has been recycled and is now a mall and this car has lasted 157 thousand miles without being restored if it were to be wrecked its almost all steel and 100% recyclable. The Prius has a battery in it no one wants to talk about replacing and the plastics used to make this car are leaching harmful chemicals into the atmosphere for the next few years ( thats part of that new car smell) the Factory it was built in is cranking em out as fast as they can using resources as fast as they can and I ladies and gentleman am RECYCLING! I am recycling a whole car saving the fuel plastic, glass and all the enviro MENTAL impact of building a whole new car! I am just sayin does it make sense to spend 805.00 a month to save maybe 200.00 a month on gas? Notice I didn't even talk about how much cooler any classic car would be over a Prius......Doh!

3 Comments:

Blogger Peter Anderson said...

you also forgot to mention how many other cars you would be keeping off the road simply by piling your friends in the back of that beast. i call bitch!

July 15, 2008 at 1:31 PM  
Blogger Wine Chick said...

I LOVE this posting! Sing it, brotha!

How have you been??

July 17, 2008 at 8:02 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

awesome post, el peacho! the reasons to love classic cars are endless.
miss you guys!

July 24, 2008 at 5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home